It has been such a long time since I have posted but I am going to start getting back into the swing of things.
I am/was in the middle of reading a book and couldn't seem to finish it. Which brought up the question: do we really have to finish everything that we start? Key word being everything, some things have to be finished for obvious reasons, a work day, an assignment for a class, an application for a job and so on.
Yet each and everyday people are constantly starting stuff and then leaving projects to do for the next day, yet they never seem to get finished. But the world doesn't end, you still get up in the morning and go to bed at night and live your life.
The book that brought this on is called The Finkler Question by Howard Jacobson. I have read up to page 224 out of 307 and can't seem to bring myself to finish it. It deals with three men, all of whom at the start of the book were widowed, divorced, or single. Two are Jewish and are part of a group who call themselves ASHshamed Jews. They are not ashamed of being Jewish, just ashamed of who they have become. It is an interesting book that has many awards. For some reason, I can't bring myself to finish it. I read two to three pages at a time and want to go to sleep. Not because I am tired but because I just loose interest. If I like the book then even when tired I don't want to put the book down. I don't even want to know the end of the book. So I am just not going to finish it. I am going to start another book and go on with my life.
If everyone finished every single thing they ever wanted to then we would all still be finishing the book we were required to read in the 10th grade.
The point is you don't have to finish the race in order to have fun. If you don't want to finish the book because you really can't get into it, return it or donate it to charity. There are plenty of places if you google it. Then start another one.
Life is not about how many times you start something and don't finish it, it is about enjoying finishing the things you finish.
No comments:
Post a Comment